Sunday 25 January 2009

Knowledge management and organizations; social networking and community of practice.

Knowledge Management: Organizations and Strategies; Social Networking.

In my previous post, I have given a brief introduction to the term knowledge management. I shall now throw some light on organizations and strategies and also look at a new term social networking and community of practice.

Knowledge management with regards to organizations and strategies gives more meaning to the term knowledge management and underlines the importance of knowledge management to us. The ability to convert data into meaningful structure so that it is of benefit to the organization is what in my opinion can be termed as knowledge. It is the complex task of using data and information meaningfully and strategically to gain monetarily. Knowledge management is perhaps that aspect of business which is tough to transfer and/or teach. It is more of a skill gained through continuous evaluation of the market with regards to the company and business environment. Knowledge management in my opinion is not a lesson that can be learnt via texts and other literature. Although there are tools available for knowledge management experts, it is still the ability to use it appropriately that sets good managers apart from the rest.

Social Networking: Social networking is the newest form of networking. It is an extension to the word networking in real life. Networking in real life indicates meeting new people, exchanging contacts, etc. Social networking is basically meeting up people through an online platform. Social networking sites typically consist of a user created profile with photos and editable questions. Through social networking, users can interact each other more innovatively and it is this buzz that has seen sites like facebook and orkut become top favorites. From a business point of view, social networking sites’s majority of revenue comes from advertising. Given the growing craze of such sites, it is not hard to believe that such websites are increasing by the day.

Community of Practice:

Community of practice is a term given to learning through the society. CoP is a unique kind of learning that occurs when people with shared social interests work towards attaining a certain goal. Again in my views, it is yet another door for people to share information and gain knowledge.

Ps: I would request people to give me more insight on the concept of Community of Practice.

3 comments:

  1. let me add to social networking withing your explanation in context. Social networking can be considered to be an CoP within it since there various different communities dedicated to a particulare subject or topic in social networking sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Milind, I agree with you the knowledge management is difficult to transfer because how one think's will be different to how another may percieve.

    I would like to share with you in terms of my view of CoP. CoP to me is where people may gather together for some form of discussion where interaction may take place. But also in another way where one may have 'practical' hand's on experience to develop the knowledge.

    In a way, I agree with Jason comment above, however, in CoP, I visualise that people are face to face contact. But with social networking, because of the word 'networking' attached to social this to me means online therefore people are connected online which I see this does not entail much connection to CoP interactivity.

    But remember, this is just my perception. As Aboubakr states: there is no right or wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya thankss....well surely my knowledge shall grow by reading various literatures...

    ReplyDelete